On this week’s episode of Media Voices, we hear from long-time publishing pro Sam Baker, co-founder of women’s site ‘The Pool’. She talks about what digital success looks like, content partnerships and why she’s launching a paid-for email newsletter.
Chris is away this week, so in the news round-up Esther and Peter chat between themselves about Chrome’s built-in ad-blocker, print redundancy risks from a digital shift at Trinity Mirror regionals, the good, the bad and the ugly of the latest ABC figures, foreign subscribers for US publications and a couple of interesting platform plays at the Guardian.’
- ‘Erasing History’ on Columbia Journalism Review looks at the ephemeral nature of digital information.
- New York Times CEO Mark Thompson says that their print products probably only have another 10 years.
- ‘Eight reasons Facebook has peaked’ from the BBC’s Amol Rajan.
- ‘Inside the Two Years That Shook Facebook—and the World’ from Wired.
- ‘Facebook never loved journalism. It’s time to break up’ from Adam Tinworth.
Sign up for our new email newsletter! Get the latest episode, plus all the week’s news and what we’re reading in your inbox every week.